Bird control products
Birds may be considered beneficial animals by some zoologists and people who study them. They serve important roles in the ecosystem and many species of birds are even protected by the government. Although many birds are beautiful creatures and an amusement to many bird watchers, they can also be one of the most significant house pests. They can be a major nuisance around businesses and homes and are also known to deface monuments and other structures. Moreover, birds can be a serious health threat and are capable of being vectors of disease pathogens. Moreover, birds can carry parasitic insects that lead to additional pest problems in and around your home or business. Different species of birds can be found all over the United States but some of the major bird species that will be found around residential areas or act as a pest around a business or a home are woodpeckers, pigeons, starlings, and sparrows.
There are four major species that are considered serious house pests which include the woodpecker, pigeon, starling and sparrow. All birds are covered with feathers and the color will depend on the species. They also possess horny beaks that lack teeth and have one-feathered tails and two-feathered wings.
- Woodpecker: Adult woodpeckers can grow to be about 6 to 18 inches which will depend on the species. Males typically have a band of red on their heads and the entire species may display patterns of black and white on their bodies. They are given their name because of their habits to peck on the wood for food, to establish shelters, or as mating or territorial rituals. They receive their house pest status from their drumming on structures or the wood around houses. This can deface structures or can simply be a significant nuisance.
- Pigeon: Adults average in length of about 13 inches and have a robust figure. Usually they are bluish gray in color with black bands. Pigeons are commonly found in almost every city in the United States and also in most rural areas. They are found all over the world except for in the cold northern region and in warm southern regions. Pigeons are not significant in that they can deface property; however, they are a major medical concern because they are in relation to over 50 disease pathogens and parasites.
- Starling: Adults can grow to be about 7.5 to 8.5 inches. They are stocky and short-tailed and their colors will change seasonally. In the warmer seasons (spring and summer), they will be black and display iridescent colors of green to purple. In the winter, however, they lose their iridescence and become speckled with white and gold. Also, the color of their bill changes from yellow to a dark brown color.
- Sparrow: Sparrows will grow to be about 5.75 to 6.25 inches long and are rather slender but stocky in shape. The color of sparrows is different between sexes. Males have wings and backs that are brownish that are streaked with black. They have a chestnut color stripe behind their eyes and bills are black. Female sparrows are dirty brownish gray with faint blackish stripes on their wings with a faint chestnut colored stripe behind the eye and have yellowish beaks. Sparrows are considered a nuisance because their droppings deface structures, monuments, statues, and etc. They are found throughout the United States.
How to Get Rid of Birds
There are several different methods of bird control. Usually it will consist of either mechanical control or chemical control or will even make use of both.
- Non-Chemical/Mechanical Control: Mechanical treatment is the start of the most effective bird control. Most people would agree that once they get rid of a pest from a structure, they will not want them back. The most effective preventative measures will involve changing areas that are vulnerable to bird infestation to areas that are less attractive or will discourage them from nesting there. Keep in mind that a lot of these areas are going to require going on top of a structure or using ladders which can be a potential safety hazard. Please be cautious when using ladders and scaffolds. Use bird netting or bird spikes to place along the ledges, in gutters, and other places so that they will discourage nesting and perching. Also, remove food sources that attract birds. This may involve general pest control to get rid of insects around or inside the structure. Also, hardware cloth or copper mesh can keep bird from entering attics and crawl spaces.
- Chemical Control: Appropriately labeled chemical repellents can work against birds to discourage their infestation. Bird-repellent gels can be applied with a putty knife or a caulking gun to specific locations like on ledges, rain gutters, and other places where birds will nest or perch.
Before applying any type of repellent or using such tools as bird spikes, inspect an area to look for their food source. A bird may continue to return of there is an adequate food source. General pest control to get rid of the insects around a structure will also discourage a bird infestation. Contact a Pest Mall representative to diagnose a problem as well as to receive a treatment method plan at 1-800-788-4142.